May 10, 2014
WWD highlights the 10 must-read stories of the week.
1. The Met Gala's Jamesian Society
In ballgowns and white tie, stars of every flavor hit the red carpet Monday night for the Costume Institute’s “Charles James: Beyond Fashion” exhibition.
2. Dior Cruise 2015
Cruise 2015 set sail — or more correctly, ferried — into Brooklyn on Wednesday night. Captained by Raf Simons and the house of Dior, it was an impressive trip.
3. Michael Kors Sweeps Into Mainland China
The designer is in Shanghai for what his brand calls its biggest event ever tonight, a “Jet Set” extravaganza at Hongqiao International Airport.
4. Jennifer Aniston Talks Living Proof at WWD's Beauty CEO Summit
The actress discussed her role with the brand in front of an audience of the beauty world’s heavy hitters.
5. Lessons From Saks' Marigay McKee
The transplanted Brit is shaking up the New York retail scene, with her impact to be most noticeable beginning next year.
6. Edward Lampert Says Sears Must Trim Apparel
Sears ceo wants the retailer's apparel business to be sleeker, speedier and more stylish. And he wants to make it all happen within a smaller footprint.
7. April Comp Gains Send Contradictory Message
Sales figures released Thursday showed a strong uptick while other data sounded a more bearish note.
8. Mickey Drexler Discusses J. Crew Mercantile
J. Crew Group's chairman and ceo on Tuesday discussed for the first time where the company is at with the newly trademarked name.
9. Bridget Foley's Diary: Saying Goodbye to L'Wren
Those who love L’Wren Scott still mourn, which was clear in their remembrances at a memorial service for the late designer in New York on Friday evening.
10. They Are Wearing: Neighbourgoods Market, Cape Town
The fashion scene skews arty hipster with crop tops, logo T-shirts, torn jeans, sneakers and chunky jewelry.