May 31, 2014
WWD highlights the 10 must-read stories of the week.
1. New Formats Drive Retail Developers
The shopping center sector has always been Darwinian, but now more than ever, it’s survival of the fittest.
2. Thomas Tait Wins First LVMH Prize
He was crowned the winner of the inaugural LVMH Young Fashion Designer Prize, a project that has shone a spotlight on a swath of indie labels and their challenges.
3. Jeff Rudes Exits J Brand, CEO Search Begins
He stepped down as chief executive officer of J Brand, the premium denim leader he founded nearly a decade ago.
4. The CFDA Awards: The Nominees
See the list of this year's nominees including Alexander Wang, Joseph Altuzarra and Marc Jacobs.
5. WWD Beauty CEO Summit: Round Two
More from the industry leaders who shared their visions in Palm Beach, Fla.
6. A&F Takes First Step in Wholesaling
he company will sell items from its Abercrombie & Fitch assortment through U.K.-based online retailer Asos beginning with the holiday season.
7. Michael Kors Plots Major Retail Rollout
Grow, grow, grow: That’s the apparent retail mandate at Michael Kors Holdings Ltd., whether it’s global freestanding stores, shops-in-shop or a new e-commerce site later this year.
8. Gucci Gearing Up to Launch Cosmetics
Gucci has a new accessories line, and it doesn’t involve bags or shoes: the Gucci Cosmetics range, set to bow internationally in September.
9. They Are Wearing: Shanghai's West Nanjing Road
Denim appeared to be a favorite look on Mainland China’s premier shopping street, with distressed versions featured heavily as both tight-fitting jeans and, more often, skimpy cutoffs.
10. Innerwear Trend: Plain With Fancy
Designers are following their basic instincts with traditional lingerie shapes charmed up with just a touch of decoration.